Compensation and Benefits
We value our resident physicians and provide them with one of the best benefits packages in the country. In addition, Indiana University offers many fringe benefits and perks for you, your spouse/partner and family.
- FREE health and dental insurance for you, your spouse/partner and dependents - a value of over $14,000 for family coverage.
- FREE life insurance
- FREE disability insurance
- FREE medical malpractice insurance
- FREE monorail transportation between hospitals
- Meal money provided for on call nights
- Lunch catered daily at conferences
- Pagers provided
- White coats and scrub suits provided
- Private, single person, centrally located and security-protected call rooms
- FREE parking at all hospitals
- Funding for meeting travel and support to present resident research
- Resident lounge with TV, library, conference room and work computers
- Faculty advisors and mentors to guide your progress
- Career retreat in PGY3 year tailored to each residency class with concentrated discussions on career choices, financial management and medical-legal issues
Fringe Benefits and Perks
- Yearly retreats with coverage
- Orientation Week with introduction to the hospital, your peers and Indianapolis--including social events for you and your family
- Elective opportunities at international health locations
- Monthly resident social events sponsored by the program
- FREE software – Photoshop, Office Enterprise with PowerPoint-Word-Excel, Endnote
- FREE tuition – 3 credit hours per semester with 50% reduction for additional 3 credit hours
- Discount tickets on IU sports and theater events
- Natatorium swimming memberships at reduced rates
- National Institute of Fitness membership at discounted prices
- On campus child care.
Leaves of Absence
- Family/Medical Leaves of Absence will be granted for qualifying short-term illness, injury, or perinatal/family care issues for a period of up to twelve weeks. FMLA includes 6 weeks with pay and 12 weeks of full health benefits.
- Starting salary for PGY-1 interns is $55, 219.00; Indianapolis has one of the nation’s lowest costs of living for a major metropolitan area, making it a very affordable place to live.
- 3-4 weeks of vacation per year