Why Choose the Pediatric Residency Program at IU?
"We believe in family centered care, advocacy for our patients and families, exceptional patient care and innovation. We care about you – the people that make it all possible and we are dedicated to giving you the best training possible for your future success."D. Wade Clapp, MD
Chairman, Dept of Pediatrics
The pediatric residency program is designed to produce outstanding clinicians and leaders in pediatrics, academics, and the community. We provide a well-rounded base of training for any future career in pediatrics, with built-in flexibility to tailor the program to individual needs. Our graduates go on to rewarding careers as primary care pediatricians, hospitalists, subspecialists, researchers, community/public health providers, and other leadership positions. Here are just a few reasons for choosing the Pediatric Residency Program at IU:
- Riley Hospital is among the premier children's hospitals in the country and is ranked in the top 35 in pediatric specialties, according to US News World Report 2016.
- Ranked in the top 20 Children's hospitals in the nation by Parents Magazine.
- Ranked in the top five newborn ICU's in the nation by Parents Magazine.
- Riley doctors are in the Top 1% of their specialties nationwide (America's Top Doctors).
- 11 of Riley Hospital's sub-specialty programs are ranked in the top 50 nationwide by U.S. News & World Report.
- Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research is nationally recognized biomedical center for research.
Breadth of Training
- As the only comprehensive children's hospital in Indiana, Riley Hospital for Children is the main referral center for the state. Residents receive exceptional training from health and wellness to working with the most medically complex cases.
- Pediatric residents learn all aspects of pediatrics from primary care to specialty care, gaining important exposure through rotations based at Riley Hospital for Children and select rotations (1-2 months) at our community hospitals: Eskenazi, Methodist, and IU Health-North.
- We supplement excellent clinical experience with educational conferences, daily morning report and noon conferences which use case-based, group discussion and lecture formats. These experiences are combined with hands-on sessions and cutting edge simulation.
- Annual retreats off campus allow for extra workshops on topics from teaching, communication, leadership and practice/financial management.
- We provide exceptional opportunities in community advocacy, global health, basic science and translational and clinical research. As a resident, we work with you to choose selectives and electives that create your own individualized pathway.
- Research - We are an internationally recognized leader in pediatric research, ranking among the top 10 Pediatrics departments in the nation in NIH funding. Unique to IU is the Morris Green Physician Scientist Development Program (MGPSDP) which integrates research into the Pediatric residency.
- Community Pediatrics - We are a leader in Community Pediatrics and are one of only 10 pediatrics residencies nationally named as a recipient of the AAP/Dyson Community Pediatrics Training Initiative. This grant is aimed at fostering partnerships with the community, promoting the role of pediatricians as community leaders and advocates, and strengthening community activities through interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Global Health – IU provides opportunities in other parts of the world, working with different cultures. In addition, residents work within the Indianapolis community in international adoption, travel medicine, and other clinics designed for specific populations.
A Network of Support
- At IU, our mission revolves around you. Our family of Pediatric residents works together, learns together and plays together.
- We value our residents and offer one of the top resident benefit packages in the country including all health, dental, life and disability insurance for you, your spouse/partner and all dependents.
- We pride ourselves on our dedication to you, helping you achieve your goals and providing you with the best training available. At Indiana University, you will establish life-long friendships and life-time mentors.
The hospital campus is located in the thriving downtown area of Indianapolis, rated one of the most affordable and livable cities in the U.S. by Forbes. Indianapolis has a small town atmosphere with big city amenities and a melting pot of diverse cultures. Indianapolis is the 14th largest metropolitan area in the U.S., offering a wide range of sports, arts, and outdoor activities.
For more information, go to About Indianapolis or click the link in the left column.