Emily K. Sims, MD
Research Assistant Professor
Phone: (317) 944-3889
705 Riley Hospital Drive, Room 5960
Indianapolis, IN, 46202
Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology
Areas of Interest
Research interests include different pathophysiologic processes affecting beta cell function in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes; clinical interests include pediatric endocrinology and diabetes.
I am originally from the Southeast, but have enjoyed living in the Midwest with my husband and two sons, and becoming a part of the Riley community.
|2007||MD, University of Alabama School of Medicine|
|2010||Pediatrics residency, Indiana University School of Medicine|
|2013||Pediatric Endocrinology fellowship, Indiana University School of Medicine|
Honors & Awards
|2013-2015||NIH Loan Repayment Program Awardee|
|2012-2013||Morris Green Research Scholar|
|2011||Riley Red Shoes Award|
Riley Hospital Outpatient Center
705 Riley Hospital Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Riley Children's Specialty Clinic
11590 North Meridian Street
Carmel, IN 46032
Research & Grants
Working to elucidate roles of different micro-rnas as post-transcriptional regulators of gene expression affecting beta cell function in diabetes, as well as their role as biomarkers in diabetes.
1. Sims EK, Hatanaka M, Morris DL, Tersey SA, Kono T, Chaudry ZZ, Day KH, Moss DR, Stull ND, Mirmira RG, Evans-Molina C. Divergent Compensatory Responses to High Fat Diet Between C57BL6/J and C57BLKS/J Inbred Mouse Strains. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Oct 29. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:24169046
2. Chaudry ZZ, Morris DL, Moss DR, Sims EK, Kono T, Evans-Molina C. Streptozotocin is Equally Diabetogenic Whether Administered to Fed or Fasted Mice. Lab Animals. 2013; 47 (4): 257-65.
3. Sims EK, Garnett S, Guzman F, Sultan C, Eugster E, on behalf of the fulvestrant McCune-Albright study group. Fulvestrant Treatment of Precocious Puberty in Girls with McCune-Albright Syndrome. International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology. 2012 Sep 22; 2012(1):26.
4. Sims EK, Addo OY, Gollenberg AL, Himes JH, Hediger ML, Lee PA. Inhibin B and luteinizing hormone levels in girls aged 6-11 years from NHANES III, 1988-1994. Clinical Endocrinology. 2012 Oct;77(4):555-63.
5. Sims E, Evans-Molina C. Stem cells as a tool to improve outcomes of islet transplantation. Journal of Transplantation. 2012; 2012:736491. Epub 2012 Aug 30.
6. Sims EK, Eugster EA, Nebesio TD. Detours on the road to diagnosis of Graves Disease. Clinical Pediatrics. 2012; 51 (2): 160-4.
7. Wall TC, Senicz E, Evans HH, Woolley A, Hardin JM. Hearing screening practices among a national sample of primary care pediatricians. Clinical Pediatrics. 2006; 45(6):559-566.
8. Sims, EK, Evans-Molina C. Urinary Biomarkers for the Early Diagnosis of Retinopathy and Nephropathy in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A “Steady Stream” of Information Using Proteomics. Accepted for publication in Translational Research.
9. Fuqua JS, Sims EK. Contraceptive Quandaries: Contraception Decisions in the Pediatric Endocrinology Office. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2012; 97(1): 73-6.